About Ignite 2020
On this page you will find out about the IGNITE2020 campaign and its predecessor the 2010×2010 campaign which started in South Africa in 2005. This is based on the IGNITE2020 Strategy Document that arose out of the Strategy Meeting held in Westville, South Africa in October 2010.
By God’s awesome power and grace the 2010×2010 campaign which started in 2005 achieved much, much “more than we asked or imagined” (Eph 3:20). The impact on the family of Christ in South Africa, and, in many countries across the globe, is difficult to reduce into sentences. “Life changing” has become an almost common description used by many impacted through the activities associated with t he 2010 campaign. Notwithstanding this amazing growth and progress, we are humbled by how much must still be done. We are humbled by how much we still need to learn and develop. We are humbled by the size of the task set before us. But we are confident of this very thing, that He which has begun a good work in us, will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ (Phil 1:6).
With 2010 having drawn to a close, a new plan and strategy has been developed for the next adventure in God’s service in South Africa AND around the world. In the spirit and boldness of Elisha’s double portion we have laid the foundations for a 10-year campaign with a mission to fan the fire of the Good News of the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ from South Africa, through Africa and across the World.
The two parts of the campaign name provide an awesome summary for the vision, objectives, hope and imaginations that we wish to take into this campaign:
- IGNITE speaks to our desire to fan the embers that have come to light through the blessings of the 2010 campaign. All around South Africa and indeed in many places across the globe where volunteers have returned, there is a new flame, a new passion, a new energy to love, serve and spread the Good News of the Kingdom of God. Our vision is to fan these flames, and for them to collectively burn as an unstoppable fire for God. In so doing we will be a light to the World. A place and people of refuge and safety.
- 2020 speaks to our passion for the perfect Vision that drives all of our plans. The Kingdom of God is our 2020 Vision. It makes a sometimes dark and gloomy world clear and purposeful. It also speaks to our continued belief to work within the context of clearly defined and measurable goals and time-frames.
- An Aside: In late September 2010, we enjoyed a wonderful culmination festival for the 2010 campaign in the form of an International Family Bible Conference. The conference was attended by over 200 brothers and sisters with almost half coming from outside of South Africa, having been drawn here primarily through their association with the 2010 campaign. Much of the discussion at the conference centered on 2010 and possible plans for the future. The Conference was held in the beautiful Drakensberg mountains in KZN, South Africa. Every night when darkness fell, as it does so heavily in the mountains, a raging fire could be seen burning high up on the mountain-side. It provided a unique and energising light to an otherwise dark and foreboding void. It burned every night with a direction and force driven by the wind. It proved an inspiration. “Jesus will IGNITE the kingdom life, a fire, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out.” (Matt 3:11 MSG)
The main message of the 2010 campaign is spreading the Good News of the Kingdom of God. This message will continue in the IGNITE 2020 campaign, but will also include the all important need to come to Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. Hence the main message will be the Good News of the Kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus.
This is both a positive and a powerful message, and sharing it has already proven to be effective. It should be no surprise as this is God’s main message and “brand”, and He works powerfully to ensure that his name is spread throughout all the earth. “When they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women” (Acts 8:12)
The Vision has three key Vision essences which summarise the collective vision for 2020.
- A Spreading Fire out of Control – The spreading of the Good News is ultimately the work of the Father and Jesus. We envisage an amazing ingniting of the Good News in South Africa AND beyond. We see this growth as being driven by God’s power rather than our plans and control.
- Sparking New Churches – Ignite 2020 continues from the 2010 campaign with a desire for the growth and fruitfullness of God’s family in South Africa. To this end, we envisage a significant growth of Churches in new areas throughout South Africa.
- Diverse Congregations – South Africa is about diversity. The Good News is made for Diversity. There is neither Jew nor Greek, bond nor free, male nor female. They are all one in Christ Jesus. We dream of a body of Christ leading the way for cultural and racial harmony, celebrating diversity unified in Christ.
The principles and values that were key to the 2010 project have been extended into IGNITE 2020. These principles and values are key both to the campaign and this website. All outreach and communication must seek to develop and engender these core principles and values.
- Love driven ministry – John 13:34, Jer 22:16 – All we do must be motivated by our desire to show the love of God and to be a Servant as He is.
- Touch to Teach (T2T) – (Php 2:5-9) T2T is what Jesus did. Attitude of serving. Learning how to be the servant.
- Be the Good News – True preaching takes place theough active participation – This is also called the “Follow Me” principle. Jesus asked people to follow him to see His Good News in action. So we are to develop a Follow Me ministry.
- Cast your net on the other side – Lk 5 – Don’t keep trying the same thing if you keep getting a poor result – Try something different – like the other side!
- Central teaching theme – The Good News of the Kingdom of God – Luke 4:43 –this is our overlay, our binding message of hope.
- God at the Centre – Project participants must always remember that “God time” is integral to our efforts and it is critical that we include God Time in our efforts. This includes team fellowship, Bible reading, Prayer and meditation, and group retreats for spiritual development. We cannot exhale (preaching, outreach, teaching, serving) if we do not leave time and space to inhale (learning, praying, meditating, praising).
- Macedonian Man – It is good to have project planning and structure, however, our structure must include the ability to be flexible when we see God’s influence leading or changing our efforts to accomplish something that wasn’t in our original plan. (Acts 16:9-10)
- Committed to Fruitfulness – (Gen 1:26) (Gal 5:22-24) – Fruitfulness is about growing the Family of God and about our own personal development of the fruit of the Spirit
- All things to all men – (1 Cor 9:20) To those inside and outside our faith. Learning to meet the needs of whatever community we serve.
- Coordinated programs – Programs are created and planned to provide opportunities for volunteers to work on project teams and accomplish specific, well defined objectives in communities. Although we allow for flexibility and creativity, coordination allows us to be the most effective with the resources available to ensure we can be sustainable in our efforts and work consistently towards our objectives.
- Enablers for laborers– this foundation principle remains key to the new campaign. There are many potential laborers who need platforms or tools to be enabled. The campaign should provide such platforms or tools.
- Vacate Principle (Know that I am God) – All we do is to the Glory of the Father – we need to make sure we make space for God to work in us. – Psa 46:10
- Diversity & Inclusion (Gal 3:26) – The Good News is about diversity and making sure all types of people are included and are able to actively contribute
- Get out of our Comfort Zone – Luke 18:22 – Growth happens when take a step out of the boat.
“Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God’s Law and Prophets and this is what you get.” (Matt 7v12 MSG).